I love the films of Jim Jarmusch – Mystery Train, Night on Earth, Dead Man – I could easily go on.
The soundtracks for his films are equally as excellent. Dead Man in particular was incredibly influencing for me. I utilized parts of the score and re-edited them for my performance dissertation in theatre school – ‘Eurydice [Underglass]‘, which was a re-contextualization of the Orpheus and Eurydice Greek myth from the POV of Eurydice in the underworld (oooh arrr, aren’t I arty-farty eh?)
Combine this love for Jarmusch films, his soundtracks AND smelling amazing – enter stage right one of my favourite independent businesses, the most excellent Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.
The fine folk of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab have recently launched a limited edition series of scents based on Jim Jarmusch’s critically acclaimed film and soundtrack, ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE.
If you aren’t acquainted with BPAL, then I must insist you become so post-haste.
Beth, Ted and the Lab have been working their perfumery magic for years now, mixing, blending and creating some of the most unique, evocative and thought provoking scents around.
Their bespoke perfume oils are simply unlike anything else – drawing inspiration from the likes of literature, mythology, and folklore (just to name a few influences) to create their beautiful perfumes. The thought and detail that goes into each scent gives their sophisticated work an added depth and richness one can easily detect.
And best of all their products are absolutely cruelty free and pretty much vegan.
With scents inspired by the film’s characters, soundtrack and story points I’ll be ordering several for sure. But heads up – with only 350 created for each one, act soon as they’re strictly limited and once they’re gone, they’re gone.
Here are a few of the Only Lovers Left Alive Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab scents I’m currently coveting.
Get yours from www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com
1. Eve $30.00 USD – “Her scent is one that travels through the eons.”
2. Adam $30.00 USD – “His scent is a palette of somber colors, melancholy memories, and lupine, savage beauty.”
3. Kit $30.00 USD – “Suffused with a love of life and literature, Kit’s scent is soft and dry as bone.“
4. Café Mille Et Une Nuits $30.00 USD – “Shisha and thick coffee brewed with cardamom pods, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, and nutmeg.”
5. June 23, 1868 $30.00 USD – “True love renewed by night in an English garden.”
6. In Templum Dei $30.00 USD – “Oman frankincense, cistus labdanum, white sandalwood, and liquidambar.“
1. There’s Water Here $30.00 USD – “The wisdom of eternity imparting a glimmer of hope through the grace of eternal renewal.”
2. Hal $30.00 USD – “Saffron-infused bourbon vanilla, blackened honey, Kashmir wood, Atlas cedar, ambrette seed, hay, and Egyptian jasmine absolute.”
3. Shelley, Byron, and Keats $30.00 USD – “Uncompromising idealism, haunted romanticism, fatal ennui, and a heady amount of scandal and vice.“